If you’re missing teeth, you may feel self-conscious when you smile or laugh. However, missing teeth can also affect how you use your mouth. You may have trouble speaking, eating, and chewing properly.
You can correct these issues with dental implants. Many men and women choose dental implants, because they look natural and stay securely in place without the slipping that can occur with regular dentures. More than three million people in the United States have implants, with an additional 500,000 people choosing them every year, according to the American Academy of Implant
Dental implant specialist Asmita Dharia, DDS, and her team at Marina Landing Dentistry in Alameda, California, help men and women improve their appearance and regain the full use of their mouth and teeth with dental implants. They’re committed to
providing comfortable, natural-looking dental implants that can allow you to live your life with an attractive, fully functioning set of teeth.
What are dental implants?
With dental implants, a titanium post is screwed into your jawbone to create an artificial root. An abutment, or connector, is then attached to the top of the artificial root to hold the crown, or artificial tooth. Dr. Dharia customizes each crown
by making impressions of your teeth. This ensures a snug and comfortable fit. She also carefully matches the color of your crown to your surrounding teeth.
What is the process for getting dental implants?
Typically, dental implant surgery begins with anesthesia. Then, Dr. Dharia makes an incision in your gums, which allows her to drill small holes in your jawbone to attach your artificial root. Then she closes the incision with stitches.
It can take 3-6 months for your artificial root to fuse with your jawbone. When your artificial root fuses into place, Dr. Dharia attaches the abutment to the artificial root. She then attaches a dental crown to the abutment.
Why do men and women prefer dental implants?
Dental implants have a success rate of up to 98% , which makes the time and financial investment worthwhile for many men and women with missing teeth. Dental implants also offer the following benefits:
- They look and feel as close as possible to your real teeth
- They’re built to last a lifetime with proper care
- They allow nearby teeth to remain intact, thus improving your overall oral health
- They eliminate the need to remove and clean them like you need to do with dentures
- They restore your ability to smile, speak, and eat normally
- They prevent facial bone loss that can occur when you have missing teeth
Can you benefit from dental implants?
Dental implants can successfully replace single or multiple teeth that are missing due to decay, injury, or disease. In order to get dental implants, you should:
- Have a fully grown jawbone and healthy oral tissue
- Not smoke or chew tobacco
- Be able to commit to the time needed to complete the dental implant process
- Not have chronic health issues that could interfere with healing
To find out if dental implants can help you, book an appointment over the phone with Marina Landing Dentistry today.